Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Joyeux Noël: shopping spree at the french market

French market #34

Bonjour madame! Bonjour monsieur! For a moment there it seemed as if we had somehow miraculously crossed borders into the domain of our fromage and baguette-toting neighbors to the west, but this past weekend our feet were firmly planted in Italy. How's that for a taste of international holiday flair? If you can't go to France then France comes to you, and it was a very good thing we checked out this french market in Segrate (Milan). Usually we head over to Trentino-Alto Adige for the mercatini di natale like the ones visited in Trento and Merano - both are beautiful places to visit at any time of the year but even more enchanting during winter holidays.

French market #28

I'd say that the majority of the merchants could speak italian although there were a couple that only conversed in french. Better for us, because it isn't often that MotH gets to put his french to use and for me to hear it being spoken. The products on display ran the gamut from eclairs to foie gras, and vibrantly colorful spices to scented soaps. Love lokum? We do. Tablecloths from Provence? In every color and size imaginable. But the item that especially caught my attention were bags of Oignon de Roscoff. These pink onions from Brittany are said to be gentle in flavor and capable of extended storage in a cool, dark place for a couple of months. Photos of things that we did/did not resist all in a big set on Flickr. We had the car smelling of onions, garlic, lavender, cassoulet and cheese all the way home.

French market #10

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger K and S said...

amazing market! glad you were able to try/buy all sorts of things.

12:29 AM, December 21, 2011  
Blogger meredith said...

Ha! And we will probably be going to an Italian Christmas market this week. It's good to know that the two neighbors do good business with each other.

8:49 AM, December 21, 2011  
Blogger Rowena... said...

Kat - We/I emptied MotH's wallet. He was left with only 5€ but I didn't here any complaints. A couple of things that I really wanted to get were those covered terracotta terrine dishes and some big colorful baskets, but there was nada. The fun part was speaking italo-french with the gal from Bretagne. We HAD to mention Mont Saint-Michel! She suggested to avoid eating at MSM (I forget how she said it in french but I knew she meant too expensive by the look on her face), and to venture out to the smaller towns. I luuuuv the french!

meredith - I'll have to set my google alerts to notify me of every single french market that comes to town. Auchan and Bennet don't even carry half the stuff that I saw this weekend!

9:11 AM, December 21, 2011  
Blogger K and S said...

I wanna go back to France :) (read: I wanna live in France!)

10:07 AM, December 21, 2011  
Blogger Nicole said...

Looks absolutely delicious! I could certainly use some tablecloths from provence

9:00 AM, December 22, 2011  
Blogger Jenny said...

Your photographs are beautiful, Mr FF and I were smacking our lips. I must admit we do love to buy French cheese when we travel home from Italy, must get some en route this year if they won't smell too much in the car. Thanks for the lovely market tour.

3:22 PM, March 20, 2013  
Blogger Kelly {Sparkles and Shoes} said...

This food looks and sounds unbelievably delicious, yum!

xx
Kelly
Sparkles and Shoes

12:37 AM, August 06, 2013  
Blogger Gil said...

It looks like your blog has lost over a year's worth of entries. Or am I doing something wrong???

8:34 AM, August 26, 2013  
Blogger Rowena... said...

Nothing wrong on your part. I'm taking my sweet time at moving posts from this blog over to the new one at wordpress. Hopefully I'll be done by the end of the year!

11:59 AM, October 09, 2013  
Blogger Maria at inredningsvis said...

WOWWWW that looks SO YUMMY mmm:) your blog is my addiction now haha

Check out one of my Swedish fav. recipies in the link above:)

Have a wonderful day dear

LOVE Maria at inredningsvis - The Swedish home decor blog

7:22 PM, November 13, 2013  

Post a Comment

<< Home